The First Day of Fall




Note: This is not really how we do the first day of fall, but simply a creative way of writing to combine some of my favorite things about fall. Also, this is concentrating on the indoor aspects of fall.  

I awoke to the sound of the crackling fire down stairs with its light flickering across the wall. I hastily got dressed for the day and ran down the stairs to warm by the fire with a blanket, a hot cup of tea, and my Bible.
Today is the first day of fall and I couldn’t wait to begin our traditional first-day-of-fall cooking. Coffee cake was to be our breakfast, as always, and then we would begin. You can’t have fall without pies, breads, and pastries.
A bushel of apples sat in a basket ready to cut. A number of us would set to work cutting apples, while others would make our all time favorite pie crust, roll it out and put it in pie pans. With lots of members in my family, the work always goes smoothly and is sure to be lots of fun. I could just imagine the aroma of the crisp apple pies as they baked in the oven. The smell always drifted right out of the oven and filled the whole house. After apple pies, then come pumpkin pies. We always make lots of each to give to friends and neighbors or to freeze for another day. While I am thinking about pumpkins we can’t forget to make the pumpkin bread, one of my favorites. All the aromatic spices make one feel like you’re in heaven. Speaking of breads, of course, reminds me of the many loaves of rich whole wheat bread that we will bake, enough to give away and freeze. What can make the house smell better then home made breads along with delicious apple and pumpkin pies?!
We will finish off our day with a bowl of our famous Cheese Burger Soup and a nice steaming cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows. Of course, we won’t be able resist the urge to try one of our scrumptious pies that we have worked so hard on all day.

What are some of your favorite things about fall? What are some of your favorite fall foods? Do you have a fall tradition? I would love for you to leave a comment.


Your Blogging Friend,
          Hannah Grace

Comments

  1. I like fall because of the cooler weather and the wind. I like our potato casserole and turkey. Our new fall "tradition" is Hickory Day!

    Love
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Elisa Ann! ;) it does look like Hickory Day has become one of our new fall Traditions. Thanks for starting it. ;)

      Delete
  2. I like fall because of the cool weather and cool leave colors. I also like taking pictures (I do not have any good leaf pictures yet, but I need to take some). I love apple pie!
    Love,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie, Apple pie is one of my very favorites! I also like heavenly pie. Maybe I'll share the recipe to that one soon. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

With it's Heart Against a Thorn

Winnie the Pooh

Favorite Books