But Time Can Never Erase You


 
 
Time might erase some things,
But it can’t erase everything.
It can’t ever erase your smile from my heart
Or the joy that once
You brought into my life,
The dance that you put in my steps
And the twinkle you put in my eyes.
 
Time may erase some things,
But it can’t erase the memory of you
From my mind.
I may grow old and grey, wrinkled and lame,
Or I might die while still very young,
But time won’t erase your face
Etched into my heart.
 
Time may erase some things,
But it can never erase
The love that I had for you.
And I know that I never loved you
As well as I have learned to love another,
But it was you who taught me
More about love and to love more.
 
It was you who taught me
What it looks like to fight and fight hard,
To not give up,
And to laugh when life brings pain.
You taught me life is too short
To not love, so I slowly learn to love
Yet fail again and again.
 
Time might erase some things,
But it will never erase you
And the beautiful gift you were to me
If only for such a short time.
But you taught me that too,
That not all gifts are here to stay,
But all of them belong to my King.
 
 
 
*A poem written in loving memory of my brother, Micah, who died 12 years ago today.

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

With it's Heart Against a Thorn

Winnie the Pooh

Favorite Books