But What Did My Mom Do?



Recently my mom, sisters, and I went to a baby shower for a friend. I had crocheted a blanket for her, Priscilla had knitted a hat and booties, and Elisabeth and Bethany had designed some beautiful cards. Everyone there was amazed at our creativity, oohing and awing at our talent. Then one of the ladies turned to me and said, "But what did your Mom do?" I just laughed and said that she bought the yarn.
            Later I began to think about that question more seriously. What had my Mom done? Yes, it is true she hadn't made any of those gifts. She doesn’t know how to knit or crochet; neither is she the best artist (Although she has drawn some pretty cute things before.) So what has my Mom done?
            Well, my mom has done more then you realize. For starters, she's the one that married my Dad and gave birth to us. What woman is willing to go through birth pains nine times? I know that there are plenty of women out there who would and have, but I also know that there are plenty who wouldn't even give it a thought. Nonetheless, my Mom did. We won't even go into the fact that my mom had four boys first (Anyone with more that one boy, particularly close in age, would probably no what I am talking about.) That right there is an act of bravery. We would never have been able to make what we did if mom hadn't given birth to us.
            Secondly my mom has spunk and courage. She had the spunk to home school all nine of her children and she's still going. She had the courage to go against what the world tells you is best and instead did what God says is best. She had the courage to walk with her son, Micah, through leukemia with four years of treatment, before he went home to be with Jesus.
            If my mom had sent us off to school so that she could work, it is not very likely that we would have learned any of that. We would have been quite busy with school and not had much time to do anything else. Also very likely we wouldn't have had the desire to learn to crochet, knit, or be an artist. Yet, since my mom has stayed home and schooled us, it has given us the opportunity to learn these things.
            Yeah, it may be true that my mom is not an artist. Yeah, she can't crochet a blanket either. No, she can't knit (although we've tried to teach her). It's true, she ain't no artist. But believe me she has done a whole lot more. She has daily sacrificed her life and desires so that she can raise up Godly men and women for the next generation. She has cooked thousands of meals, so that we can be healthy and strong. She has taught all of her children (including the boys) how to cook, so that one day we can be a blessing and help to our families. She has taught us math, english, science, history, Latin, etc.. She has diligently taught us the Word of God. She has set an example for us to follow. She has encouraged us to pursue whatever we are interested in, so we can use our gifts for the glory of God. She prays for us daily, that we might not stray from what is most important. She continually reminds us that what is most important is that we do all for the glory of God.
            So what has my Mom done? A lot! All that I have just told you is only a small amount of what my mom has done. I haven’t even mentioned the fact that my mom is an astonishing cook, a brilliant writer, and a first rate teacher. The list of all that my mom has done for us, so that we could do and be who we are is endless. I haven’t even begun to mention the talent she has.
            So what is greater, knowing how to knit and crochet, or being a godly woman who gives up her life daily for her children? Truly my mom has given the greater gift. The gift that mom has given has made her truly more happy then any amount of art, crocheting, or knitting that me or my sisters can do.
            What about you? Do you sometimes feel like you have no talent whatsoever? Well, it doesn't matter. You don't need to be a pro at knitting or crocheting. You don't have to be the best artist. You don't need to know how to play an instrument. The most important and satisfying thing you can do is give up all for the sake of Christ. Live your life wholly consecrated to God. Give up your life daily for others. That is the best talent a person can have. It is the talent that truly brings the most joy.
            Maybe you’re one of those people who has a lot of talent, though. Maybe you can do anything you put your hands to do. Yet, that is nothing, if you’re not doing it for the glory of God. It is all a complete waste of time if you are not doing it for Christ. 

Comments

  1. Thanks Hannah. That was very nice You are very sweet. You make me smile! and laugh and love Jesus more. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats beautiful Hannah. I have the same thoughts about my Mum just yesterday. I had to answer the question: What is your Mums goal in life? and it got me thinking how much of a godly mother she is. :D

    Blessings,
    Meggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

With it's Heart Against a Thorn

Winnie the Pooh

Favorite Books